DAILY JOURNEY WITH THE LORD
Tuesday 16th January, 2018.
Bible Text: 1 Kings 17:9-16
9 “Go at once to Zarephath in the region of Sidon and stay there. I have directed a widow there to supply you with food.” 10 So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, “Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?” 11 As she was going to get it, he called, “And bring me, please, a piece of bread.”
12 “As surely as the Lord your God lives,” she replied, “I don’t have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little olive oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die.”
13 Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small loaf of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord sends rain on the land.’”
15 She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. 16 For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah.
The story of Elijah and the widow at Zarephath is not new to us, but there are lessons that God wants us to learn from it.
God sent Elijah to Zarephath to a widow who had nothing, on getting there, he asked the woman for water to drink while she was going for the water, he asked for bread as well.
1. She was hospitable. Elijah whom she did not know requested for water and she was willing and happy to give him water to drink. Are you hospitable to your neighbours that you know very well and not to talk of strangers? No matter your status in life, be generous to people because “whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me” Matthew 25:40.
2. She was obedient. When Elijah told her to bring a piece of bread for him, though she complained, yet she obeyed him “she went away and did as Elijah had told her” (verse 15).
3. She had faith and believed. This woman believed the word of God from Elijah that says ‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord sends rain on the land.’’ Verse 14.
How do you always see the servants of God? Do you see them as just ordinary men like yourself or you see them as messengers of God? Matthew 20:41-42 says “41 He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward. And he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward. 42 And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward.”
This widow did not say that Elijah was asking for too much, he asked for water and later for bread, after all she did not know him from nowhere but because of the type of person she was, she received the reward of her good character. What type of person are you? Can you share the little you have with people or you are the type that always says you worked hard before you get what you have and so you cannot give, the person too should go and work. Remember, it is God that has given you the grace to work and he opportune you to work so as to share with others.I urge you as you continue in the journey of year 2018 to be:
* Hospitable to everybody
* Obey God’s words through His servants, see God in them and stop seeing them as ordinary man like you
* Believe God’s words and have faith. James 1:6-8 says 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
1. Thank you God for yet another day on the land of the living. Also thank God for His words.
2. O Lord, help me to be generous, give me the heart of giving.
3. My Father, Help me to believe your words, help me to see you in your servants.