DAILY JOURNEY WITH THE LORD
Wednesday 17th January, 2018.
Bible Text: Acts 9:36-42
36 In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (in Greek her name is Dorcas); she was always doing good and helping the poor.
37 About that time she became sick and died, and her body was washed and placed in an upstairs room.
38 Lydda was near Joppa; so when the disciples heard that Peter was in Lydda, they sent two men to him and urged him, “Please come at once!”
39 Peter went with them, and when he arrived he was taken upstairs to the room. All the widows stood around him, crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.
40 Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed. Turning toward the dead woman, he said, “Tabitha, get up.” She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter she sat up. 41 He took her by the hand and helped her to her feet. Then he called for the believers, especially the widows, and presented her to them alive.
42 This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord.
What does it mean to be kind? To be kind simply means to be generous, nice, caring and to be good to others. Dorcas was one of the disciples/believers in Joppa who was known for doing good. She is the type that always helped the poor and gave gifts to the widows, with these acts of hers, she was a kind woman. She was a tailor by profession and she sews freely for people, especially the widows.
One day, this woman fell ill and died. Nobody knows anything about Dorcas not until her death when the widows she had sew for started crying and talking about her good deeds. Peter was touched with the testimony she heard about her, he prayed for her and she came to live. I am very sure that Dorcas never thought of reaping what she had sown (her good deeds) in that way, but her kindness paid off finally.
We can learn three things from the life of Dorcas:
1. she was a devoted disciple.
2. she was doer of good deeds – the needs of people always moved her. The Bible says that she was always doing good deeds. Also Galatians 6:10 says, “Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”
3. she helped the poor. She had a heart to help the poor and the hopeless.
What will you be remembered for or what will people say about you after your death?
1. O Lord my God, help me to be devoted to you.
2. Make me a channel of blessing unto you in the name of Jesus Christ.
3. Remember my good deeds O Lord and reward me for the good deeds that I have done in Jesus Christ name.