DAILY JOURNEY WITH THE LORD
Thursday 18th January, 2018.
Bible Text: Luke 5:1-7
1. One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret, the people were crowding around him and listening to the word of God.
2. He saw at the water’s edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets.
3. He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.
4. When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”
5. Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.”
6. When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break.
7. So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.
When people saw Jesus standing by the lake of Gennesaret, they started moving closer to Him so as to listen to the word of God. Jesus saw two empty boats and decided to use one of the boats as podium due to the crowd around Him. Jesus beckoned on Peter who owns the boat to move it a little from the shore.
After Jesus had finished preaching to the people, He told Peter to let his net into the sea to catch fish, but Peter said that he had worked all night and caught nothing but because you say so, I will let down my net. Peter caught so many fish such that his net began to tear and he had to call on other fishermen to help him.
Obedience to God words always attracts blessings. Peter gave Jesus his boat and time and he and his mates were blessed. John 14:15 says if you love me, you will obey my commandments. This simply shows that if you love Jesus, you will be ready and willing to do or give anything He may ask from you. Such things can be your time, intellect, talents, treasure and the likes. One of our hymns says:
1.Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
2 Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
3 Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
4 Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
5 Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
6 Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee
What will you give God this year? There is nothing too small or too big for you to give to God, Peter gave his boat and was blessed. Will you obey God as you go this year by acting according to the hymn above? God will help us in Jesus name.
1. God help me to be obedient to you.
2. Father, give me the grace to use my possessions to serve you.